The sports betting scene in Quebec and in Montreal in particular experienced a major shift in the attitude to sports betting in August 2021. This was when single game betting in Canada was legalized. Previously, only parlay (multiple or accumulator) betting was legal, and even then under countless restrictions. People in Quebec now share the same kind of openness to sports betting as their cousins in the US have enjoyed for the past couple of years.
Here is all you need to know about online betting Quebec style – where to bet, how to bet and how to get the best betting offers Quebec people are entitled to.
|#||Operator||Offer||Operator Review||Bet Now||Terms & Conditions|
|100% Deposit Bonus up to $300 + $10 on Casino||888 QC Promo Code||Play Now||19+ T&C's Apply|
|100% Up To $500 Risk Free Bet||Unibet QC Promo Code||Play Now||19+ T&C's Apply|
|First Deposit Matched Up To $200||Betway QC Promo Code||Play Now||19+. T&C Apply|
|Bet $20, Get $20 in Free Bets||William Hill QC Promo Code||Play Now||19+. T&C Apply|
|100% Welcome Bonus Up To $500||PowerPlay QC Promo Code||Play Now||19+ T&C's Apply|
|Up to C$350 on your first deposit!||TonyBet QC Promo Code||Play Now||19+ T&Cs Apply - Please Gamble Responsibly|
Commercial content notice: Taking up one of these offers may result in a payment to bookmakers.com. Over 19s only please gamble responsibly. Offers updated 28th September.
As of yet, there has not been the sudden deluge of online sportsbooks for Quebec as has been established via the flagship province for sports betting in Canada, which is Ontario. This is partly because sportsbooks for Quebec have not as yet had the same lead time that sportsbooks in Ontario have been in receipt of, and partly because the tiny Quebec territory of Kahnawake – long established as a casino licence provider due to its largely independent status – is challenging the legalization of sports betting within the province.
It’s likely that single game betting in Quebec will become fully legal in the province, despite the motion brought by Kahnawake, and you need to be ready to grab all the betting offers you are able to when signing up for the best Quebec bookmakers. What follows is information about the most common types of Quebec betting promotions you are likely to come across.
• Betting Promo Code - If you have ever purchased anything on the internet, then you will be familiar with the concept of a discount code. It’s like an online voucher that you add to your purchase at the point of payment in order to receive a discount. Quebec betting promo codes work in much the same way – you enter the promo code or bonus code when you make a deposit at a sports betting site, and you receive a bonus on top of your deposit. Bonus code and promo codes can be a little hard to find, but that does not mean you have to go hunting all around the internet in order to find them – as we go and find them for you! Keep checking our pages for the most beneficial Quebec betting promo codes available.
• Free Bets - Free bets are indeed bets that you get for free … well, almost. A typical free bet as offered by sports betting sites in Quebec will require you to place a bet or bets using your own money first. An example $10 free bet may be offered if you place a $10 bet yourself with your own funds. Your qualifying bet usually must have minimum odds in order to qualify for a free bet, and your free bet will also have restrictions on the type of wager it can be used for. Free bets are never paid out either, just the winnings that your free bet generates.
• No Deposit Bonuses - A rarity, no deposit bonuses at sportsbooks in Quebec are offered even if you don’t put a bet on yourself, or even make a deposit. It is as close to free money as you are going to get, although of course it is not, exactly, free money. No deposit bonuses usually come with high wagering that you need to complete before you can cash out. If wagering is 70x for example, and you win $10 via your no deposit bonus, then you must place $700 in wagers before you can cash those $10 in winnings out.
• Deposit Bonuses - The most common type of sports betting bonus in Quebec, a deposit match bonus typically matches, doubles or even triples the size of your first deposit at a sports betting site that you have just signed up to. A ‘100 percent matched deposit bonus’ will add $100 of bonus credit to your account if you make a $100 deposit, for example. Deposits bonuses come with wagering, just like no deposit bonuses although your wagering expectations are usually lower. Deposit bonuses also come with other terms, such as bonus limits (the amount of money you can claim via a bonus) and a cap on your winnings. Your bonus money does not last forever, either. It needs to be used within a specified timeframe. You can check all the details of Quebec deposit bonuses via the T&Cs that are attached to them.
The majority of folk now do the majority of their ‘stuff on the internet’ using their phone, or some other manner of mobile device. If this describes you, then you are not going to feel left out when it comes to Quebec sports betting. ALL sports betting sites can be used on mobile devices, and some sites will even supply specific mobile Quebec betting sites and apps that you can download to your phone, either from the Apple App Store, Google Play or the sites themselves.
Sports betting apps offer convenience and the ability to bet quickly no matter where you happen to be. You can place bets, fund your account, make withdrawals and even play the latest online slots and casino games. Mobile apps certainly seem the way to go when it comes to Quebec online sports betting.
All Quebec betting apps for iOS need to be downloaded from the Apple App Store. See below for what we consider to be the best betting apps for iPhones and iPads where you should still be able to access NFL betting sites and NBA betting sites.
Unlike iOS apps, you can download Android Quebec betting apps straight from the sites themselves. Just download and install – it really is that simple. Some apps will be available from Google Play too, and below we list some of the best.
While Canadian people have never faced the same issues that their US cousins have faced in terms of getting money into and out of sports betting and casino accounts, but there have still been difficulties. With the legalization of sports betting in Quebec, those difficulties have all but evaporated. Here we list the most popular payment methods available to sports bettors in Quebec.
• Visa & Mastercard - the leading credit and debit cards in Canada are also the leading payment methods for betting sites in Quebec and are accepted across the board.
• Interac - when paying for purchases online, most people will use Interac. This is not an eWallet, but a way of connecting your bank account and a betting account so that you can transfer money from one to the other.
• INSTADEBIT - this payment system works in much the same way as Interac but is not as popular. Deposits are usually instantaneous, but withdrawals can take between three and five days.
• iDebit - identical in functionality as Interac and INSTADEBIT, again deposits using iDebit are instant, but withdrawals can take up to five days.
• Trustly - another bank transfer system, Trustly is a global company that does not just concentrate on Canada markets. Withdrawals via Trustly as usually completed in as little as two days.
• Skrill - Skrill has long been recognised as a top player in the betting site eWallet market and is branching out into Canada. Available at some, but not all Quebec betting sites.
• PayPal - the world’s leading eWallet is commonly used for internet payments and is accepted now by a small number of Quebec sportsbooks.
• ecoPayz - another global eWallet that like Paypal is available at a small number of betting sites in Quebec.
• Neteller - another eWallet that matches Skrill in terms of both global popularity and popularity at Quebec betting sites.
• MuchBetter - a more recent addition to the global eWallet arena than Skrill, Neteller and PayPal, MuchBetter has the benefit of accepting a wide range of funding methods.
• Paysafecard - this is an eVoucher as opposed to eWallet scheme, you can purchase Paysafecard eVouchers in the real world, and manage them online via your Paysafecard account.
• eCheck - the electronic version of the humble check which is an instruction to move money between accounts. Using eChecks for deposits at Quebec betting sites can be slow, though.
• Wire Transfer - wire transfers have been used for payments for decades, but now are usually arranged solely online. They can be slow, though.
Yes, sports betting is legal in Quebec. Some forms of betting have been legal in Canada since 1985, but only via the government-controlled Loto-Quebec. In 2019 an amendment to the Criminal Code for sports betting (under which the majority of types of sports betting were punishable by law) was proposed. This amendment act was known as ‘C-218’ and was debated for nine months before being approved in August 2020, and finally passed in June 2021 subject to Royal Ascent. Only one month later, as was expected, the amendment was given Royal Assent. This bill affected the entirety of Canada, of which of course Quebec is a part.
Mise-o-jeu and Sports Interaction were the first sportsbooks to launch in Quebec, followed by a handful of others over the next few months.
Following the legalization of single game betting in Quebec, punters are free to bet on any of the most popular sports in Canada and globally. These will include some of the best soccer betting sites, betting sites for horse racing and golf betting sites. Here is a quick guide to the most popular sports you can bet on in Quebec.
Hockey – It will not surprise you to learn that hockey is the most popular sport to bet on in Quebec, with hundreds of dollars bet on the Montreal Canadiens every day.
Baseball – since the loss of the Montreal Expos to the US and Washington, baseball in Quebec has diminished in popularity. Canadian punters are free to bet on MLB though – single games, parlays and outrights.
Soccer – it may surprise you to learn that soccer is the number three most popular sport to bet on in Canada, but that’s mainly down to the success of CF Montreal in MLS.
Basketball – Canadians do not share the same love of basketball as their US neighbours, but plenty of people bet on the NBA. Quebec does not have and NBA side, but the Montreal Alliance do play in the CEBL.
Football – Again, Canadians do not go as crazy on football as Americans, but betting on the NFL is still popular. Quebec’s sole football team, the Montreal Alouettes, play in the CFL.
Tennis – Despite, the coolness of the climate, tennis is a betting option for countless Canadian sports fans, with Mary Pierce being the best tennis player Canada has ever produced (although some may say Greg Rusedski, but he defected to the UK).
Fighting – MMA is incredibly popular in Canada, with hundreds of bets placed on the leading Canadian MMA personalities every day, such as Rory MacDonald and Mark Hominick all of whom are hoping to emulate Canada and Quebec’s greatest fighter of all time, George St-Pierre.
eSports – It gets cold in Canada so it’s no wonder video gaming is so popular, as it’s an indoor activity! eSports such as DOTA2, CSGO and Starcraft II are extremely popular in Canada, as is betting on them.
Signing up at a Quebec betting site is not at all difficult and it really is just a case of online form filling. You will usually be asked your name and date of birth, and to provide an email address and cell phone number.
The importance of being able to legally bet in Quebec comes with the supply of your address and Social Insurance Number. Obviously, both must be valid and you must reside in Quebec in order to use Quebec sportsbooks. You should not need to give your full SIN, for your own protection. Typically, only the four final digits are requested. When you enter this information, the Quebec online sports betting site will typically run background checks automatically to validate your legal right to place sports bets in the province.
You will need to validate your email address too, and possibly your phone number. Payment information may require validation too. This is to both protect you, and your account.
Once you have your account up and running it’s time to place a bet. You can use the Quebec betting site’s navigation options to find the sports and/or specific event you want to place a bet on. You will see the odds of any particular outcome that’s available for wager. To place your bet, click on the odds. This will transfer the outcome to your bet slip.
You should be able to combine single events into parlays by adding them to your slip, or of course you can just bet on the single outcome. Set your stake (after you have successfully funded your account of course!) and click the ‘place bet’ button. This means your bet in Quebec has been successfully placed!
Quebec has its fair share of elite sports teams that compete in both Canada's own leagues and also the North American leagues too. Whatever sport you like to bet on, you are free to do so using the best MLB betting sites or NHL betting sites. You can also place a bet on any team or sport of your choice using your sportsbook app. The leading Quebec sports teams that you can bet on are as follows:
Montreal Canadiens (NHL) – Quebec’s most popular sports team. Founded in 1909, the Canadiens have won the Stanley Cup and impressive 24 times, dominating the NHL between 1952 and 1979.
CF Montreal (MLS) – Previously the Montreal Impact, this soccer side was founded in 2010, joining MLS in 2012. They have yet to win a title but did reach the final of the CONCACAF Champions League in 2015.
Montreal Alouettes (CFL) – Quebec’s top football team. Founded in 1946, they compete in the CFL and have won the Grey Cup seven times.
Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) – The leading junior ice hockey team in the province, the Remparts first existed between 1969 and 1985, and then again from 1997 onwards. They compete in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which they have won twice.
Daily fantasy sports in which players select fantasy teams to compete against each other in order to win money, have not been legalised in Quebec. There are no moves currently to legalise placing a DFS bet Quebec, or indeed in any part of Canada.
Online casino play is legal in Canada, but only at the state run Loto-Quebec site. There is though a ‘grey area’ as countless online casinos internationally are willing to accept customers from Canada. Loto-Quebec have tried several times to ban such ‘offshore’ online casinos but have not been able to.
If you use an offshore online casino in Canada then you are doing so at your own risk as technically, doing so is illegal, but no one has ever been prosecuted for using one.
Help for problem gambling in Quebec falls under the remit of the local government. Gambling: Help and Referral is the name of the telephone service for anyone with a gambling concern, either for themselves or someone close. It can be contacted in Montreal at 514 527-0140, or elsewhere in Quebec via 1 800 461-0140.
Nationally, gambling help can also be found via the Gambling Therapy and GamTalk websites.