Massachusetts may be one of the smallest states in the US, but it is one of the most historic. This is where early parts of modern America were founded, where scientific innovations happened in the industrial revolution, and it’s home to some of the most respected schools in the US.
Volleyball and basketball were invented in this state, and that love of sport has carried on into modern times. MA sports teams have been incredibly successful over the years. The state’s acclaimed franchises include the NFL’s New England Patriots, NBA’s Boston Celtics, NHL’s Boston Bruins and MLB’s Boston Red Sox.
Massachusetts may have plenty of history, but it is now looking to the future to embrace the latest frontier in the US - online sports betting. Currently, online sports betting is not yet legal in MA, but that looks like it could change soon. Online betting adds new dimensions of fun and excitement to sports. Considering how popular sports are in the Bay State, we expect MA sports betting to take off as soon as its legalized.
|#||Operator||Offer||Operator Review||Bet Now||Terms & Conditions|
|Get up to $1,100 in First Bet Insurance - Promo Code: BMDCCZR||Caesars Review||Claim Offer||21+, terms apply, 1800-GAMBLER|
|Risk-Free First Bet up to $1,000||BetMGM Review||Claim Offer||18+ T&C’s Apply|
|Risk-Free Bet up to $1,000||FanDuel Review||Claim Offer||21+, terms apply, 1800-GAMBLER|
|Bet $50, Get $200 in Free Bets - Promo Code: XBMDC||WynnBET Review||Claim Offer||18+ T&C’s Apply|
|Get a Deposit Bonus up to $1,000||DraftKings Review||Claim Offer||21+, terms apply, 1800-GAMBLER|
|Get $100 Risk Free Bet||Unibet Review||Claim Offer||21+, terms apply, 1800-GAMBLER|
Commercial content notice: Taking up one of these offers may result in a payment to bookmakers.com. Over 21s only please gamble responsibly. Offers updated 26th May.
All forms of betting, including online and retail, are currently not legal in Massachusetts. Online sports betting in the US opened up for states to legalize individually after the United States Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act 1992 (PASPA) in 2018. Massachusetts has yet to pass any of its own legislation, unlike close-by states like New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey, where sports betting is already legal.
That’s not through a lack of trying, as MA public officials worked on two separate bills in 2021. The H3993 actually passed through the House but was held up in the Senate over budget concerns. The Senate also had S269, but this was met with similar resistance.
When the legislative session reopens in the Bay State, online sports betting could be high on the agenda again. Ninety small business owners sent numerous letters to Senator Adam Gomez about the S264 with concerns about the impact retail legal sports betting could have on local businesses. It looks like mobile betting is the best bet for legalization in the near future.
Senator Eric Lesser has made it clear that legal sports betting will be one of his priorities as he runs for Lieutenant Governor. The failed attempts of 2021 may cause issues, but we are hopeful about legislation passing in 2022.
It means online sports betting could go live at the earliest in late 2022 or be pushed to 2023. We will keep this page up-to-date until then and onwards with the latest legal information. So bookmark this guide and visit us regularly to stay updated with the latest news on MA betting. Any legislation and regulations will be run by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
As the US online sports betting market is red hot, many bookmakers compete for bettors’ attention. To entice players to sign up, sportsbooks offer generous welcome bonuses and promotions that allow you to try the sportsbook and stretch your bankroll further.
Below you’ll find some of the typical welcome bonuses available at US sportsbooks that we expect MA players to be able to enjoy soon.
- Deposit Match Bonus: This promotion is the most common welcome bonus offered by US sportsbooks, in which online betting sites provide you with bonus funds based on a percentage of your first deposit. This match can be as low as 20% or as high as 150%. With these bonuses, you can get lots of bonus funds in your betting account to use on wagers.
For example, say a Massachusetts betting site offers a 100% match on deposits up to $750. If you deposit $600, the sportsbook will reward you with another $600. That means you’ll have a betting budget of $1,200.
- No Deposit Bonus: These offers are pretty rare because they are so generous, offering you free betting money without requiring you to make a financial commitment. It means that you can end up with bonus credits just for registering at a sportsbook. Don’t expect hundreds of dollars like with a deposit match bonus, but a free shot at placing a bet is still pretty awesome.
- Matched First Bet: Whatever you stake with your first bet up to a certain amount, the sportsbooks will match with bonus funds. It doesn’t matter if your first bet is a winner; just placing a wager is enough to earn you some bonus funds.
- Risk-Free Bets: If your first bet is a loser, the sportsbook will give you bonus funds or a free bet equal to that wager with this bonus. If the bet is a winner, you can enjoy your payout! This means this reward won’t be awarded to everyone, but those who don’t receive it will have the cash from their first winning bet.
New players will have a lot of fun with whatever welcome bonus they redeem. But are there any rewards for players once Massachusetts sports betting sites have been live for a few weeks or months? There’s no need to worry as sportsbooks offer existing players loads of promotions. For example, you can earn yourself and anyone who signs up using your link bonus funds with a referral bonus. There are also reload bonuses, which are similar to deposit match bonuses but for existing sportsbook accounts.
When Massachusetts legal betting sites launch, you should expect many exciting offers. That’s why you should keep an eye on this page. We will have the latest information about all the bonuses and promotions the best Massachusetts betting sites have on offer. So check back in, and you may end up with some sweet rewards.
Promo codes will be a familiar concept to online shoppers reading this. These unique codes, made up of letters and numbers, can unlock rewards when entered at the correct online vendor. It is exactly the same with online sports betting sites. Sportsbooks offer bonuses and promotions that you can only access with a bonus code.
While this may sound complicated, it’s actually super easy! Sportsbooks offer these bonuses because they are simple to award, meaning more people can get involved and enjoy online sports betting. Considering how many online shoppers use promo codes already, we expect Massachusetts betting sites to offer loads of bonus codes when the legislation changes.
Once available, we will list the best promo codes right here on this page. You won’t have to look for the MA’s best bonuses anywhere else.
Free bets are one of the most exciting promotions you can receive from a sportsbook because these bonuses give you the chance to place a wager for free. Betting sites will reward you with bonus funds to put on pretty much any sports betting market. If your bet is a winner, you get to keep the rewards! If not, it doesn’t matter, as you haven’t lost anything.
Betting sites occasionally give these rewards to new customers as a part of a welcome bonus. However, some sportsbooks offer loyal players a free bet from time to time as a thank you for betting on their favourite sports such as MLB or soccer. These are some of the most popular promotions out there, so expect to see plenty on the top Massachusetts betting sites when online sports betting goes live.
When sports betting launches in MA, it’s expected that mobile sports betting will be the top priority. That means you can expect Massachusetts betting apps to be available for download soon. These apps offer all the same betting markets and account features you would expect on a desktop site but with some exclusive extras.
You can access online sports betting anywhere you have a cellular connection, including in-play bets. Not only that, but sportsbook apps are known for having better connectivity and easy navigation. It means you are getting a faster and easier betting experience from the mobile device in your pocket. If you don’t want to download an app, no problem! You can just access the sportsbook through an HTML5 optimized mobile browser site. You’ll get all the same options and markets such as horse racing, and the experience is just as fun.
With online sports betting on the horizon, bettors will want to know what payment methods will be available at the best Massachusetts betting sites. Safe and accessible payment methods are vital to online betting. So having options that you trust and are easy to use is crucial.
The selection of payment methods may vary between states and sportsbooks. However, most betting operators provide a variety that includes a few popular choices. Below are some options you will likely find at the top Massachusetts betting sites when online sports betting is legalized in the state.
- Bank/Wire Transfers: Bank transfers are a direct way to make transactions to and from a Massachusetts betting site. There is added security as no third parties are involved with this payment method. However, withdrawals can take several days to process.
- Check: You can request withdrawals by a mailed check, which is a very safe way to make transactions. However, this can take up to 10 days with the postal service and is only recommended for large withdrawals.
- Credit/Debit Cards: Most people use bank cards in their daily lives, making them convenient for online sports betting. Bank cards are an all-around solid payment method, with good security and decent withdrawal times making this a popular option. Some sportsbooks don’t allow bank card withdrawals, which can be frustrating.
- ACH: ACH is an electronic form of banking that doesn’t need third parties to make transactions to online betting sites. These payments are secure, and withdrawals are quicker than traditional bank transfers.
- PayPal: E-wallets allow you to make purchases and add funds to betting accounts without entering your bank details directly into the site. PayPal is the most widely used e-wallet worldwide, offering great security and speed to those who use it. Withdrawals usually only take a couple of days with this payment method.
- Other E-Wallets: PayPal isn’t the only trusted e-wallet that sportsbooks accept, as payment methods like Skrill and Neteller offer similar benefits. However, not as many sportsbooks accept these e-wallets. It will be no different with top Massachusetts betting sites when online sports betting goes live.
- PayNearMe: PayNearMe allows players to deposit into their online sports betting accounts using real cash. By visiting a retail CVS or 7-Eleven location, bettors will be able to add up to $500 to their betting accounts.
- Play+: Play+ cards are a prepaid way to add funds to your betting account. You can only add cash to these cards, making it an excellent way to control problem gambling. Most Massachusetts betting sites that partner with Play+ will offer this payment method.
- Retail Cashiers: Many states have regulations that require mobile sportsbooks to have land-based partners. That means when betting sites launch in Massachusetts, you may be able to make transactions in person. These deposits are instant, and the withdrawals only take a matter of hours.
Many people in Massachusetts eagerly await online sports betting and likely plan to register right away when everything goes live. Although most sportsbooks try to simplify the sign up process, there can be a few things that catch you out if you’re not prepared.
That’s why we’ve put together this step-by-step guide to walk you through the registration process. After reading this, you’ll be ready to jump straight in as soon as Massachusetts betting sites go live.
1. As soon as online sports betting is legalized, we will update our page. That means you’ll be able to sign up to a top Massachusetts sports betting site.
2. Click through from one of Bookmakers.com's page links, and you should see a “Sign up” or “Register” button on the online sportsbook site. Click this to begin the registration process.
3. You will need to provide personal information such as your legal name, date of birth, email and phone number. You will also need to create a username and password to sign back into your account.
4. The best Massachusetts betting sites will undoubtedly use Know Your Customer (KYC) protocols. That means when you register, you will need to verify your identity. You can do this by sending a copy of a photographic ID and proof of address to your online sportsbook.
5. Once you have entered all this information, you will be registered! You just need to add funds to your account to place wagers on your favorite sports like golf or cricket. Head to the cashier section of the sports betting site and follow the instructions to add funds using your preferred payment method. If you weren’t asked to enter a promo code during your registration, you can manually enter one here.
6. If you redeem a welcome bonus while making your deposit, you will be awarded the funds once you have added the qualifying amount of money. Be sure to check the offer’s terms and conditions.
As we don't have legislation that makes sports betting legal in the state, we don't know what sports will be available to bet on. For instance, some states allow betting on college sports, while others are reluctant to allow wagers on college sports. However, it seems safe to presume that sports gambling will be allowed on things such as daily fantasy sports, horse racing and futures markets like the Super Bowl. Here's a list of the sports that are likely to be available to bettors in the state when lawmakers make sports betting legal:
Online casino gambling is not legal in Massachusetts yet, which means you can’t play your favorite casino games from your phone. There are several legal land-based casinos that you can visit to play casino games for real money such as Encore Boston Harbor (which is run by Wynn Resorts) and Plainridge Park Casino. You can find hundreds of different slots with a variety of jackpots and themes alongside table games like blackjack, roulette and baccarat. Some land-based casinos even offer games like poker and bingo.
Online gambling has less support than online sports betting with state regulators. There is still enthusiasm to try to legalize this kind of entertainment, and any bill proposing online sports betting would have to involve online gambling in the conversation.
It is well known that as fun as online sports betting is, it can be addictive for some people. That’s why sportsbooks across the US are committed to offering support and resources to those struggling with problem gambling. We expect nothing different from Massachusetts betting sites when online sports betting launches.
Most sportsbooks offer a bunch of resources on how to deal with gambling addiction, including tips and links to support websites. You can also use tools to control your own gambling, like deposit limits, time-outs and more. You can find all of this on any licensed US sportsbooks’ easy-to-find responsible gambling section.
If you are struggling right now, here are a few tips you can use to help with problem gambling.
- Set yourself a budget for your online betting. Knowing how much money you can spend makes it easier to control your wagering. Make sure this is an amount you can afford to lose.
- Don’t wager any money from loans. Using loan money to chase losses is a sure-fire way to lose control of your bankroll. Gambling is a form of entertainment, not a way to make money.
If you are still looking for support, the Office of Problem Gambling Massachusetts site has lots of resources and a helpline you can call.