West Virginia may be one of the smaller states in the US by population, but it has made a huge impact with its sports betting markets. It is one of only a dozen or so states with a betting handle of over $1 billion. That means that $1 billion has been placed in bets at legal and regulated bookmakers in the Mountain State since the launch of legal sport wagering in 2018.
Considering the state’s launch wasn’t straightforward, and its population is just under two million, this is pretty impressive. Similarly, more sportsbooks are looking at launching in the Mountain State, meaning the market could get even bigger for West Virginian residents to bet on their favorite sports on soccer betting sites or tennis betting sites.
For all the excitement going on around West Virginia’s sports betting, our experts wrote this guide that covers everything you need to know. We include the latest legal sports betting information in West Virginia to make sure you know that everything you do is safe and regulated.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (CO, DC, IL, IN, LA, MD, MS, NJ, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY) Call 877-8-HOPENY or text HOPENY (467369) (NY). Must be 21+ to wager. Please Gamble Responsibly. Call 1-800-NEXT-STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (KS, NV), 1-800-327-5050 (MA), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA), 1-800-270-7117 for confidential help (MI). Visit BetMGM.com for T&Cs. US promotional offers not available in NV, NY or ON.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Commercial content notice: Taking up one of these offers may result in a payment to
bookmakers.com. Over 21s only please gamble responsibly.
Offers updated 22nd March.
West Virginian residents love sports. Even though there are no major league sports teams based in the state in the likes of the NBA, it hasn’t stopped NBA betting and NFL betting, from taking WV by storm. Who needs professional teams when West Virginia has two amazing NCAA Division I teams? Many bettors throw down wagers on the Marshall Thundering Herd and the West Virginia Mountaineers on various sports.
All of that enthusiasm means there’s a high demand for quality sportsbooks. We only list the top West Virginia betting sites, such as daily fantasy sports giants DraftKings sportsbook, FanDuel sportsbook, BetMGM, Caesars sportsbook (formerly William Hill), PointsBet and Betly sportsbook. These platforms have the most markets, the best odds and the smoothest UIs. If you’re looking to start wagering on sports in WV, then look no further than our recommended bookmakers. If you want to find out more about what these sites offer you, you’re in the right place.
Online and retail sports betting are both legal within the borders of West Virginia. The state was keen to introduce sports betting as early as possible and was the fifth state to legalize state-regulated sports betting after New Jersey betting sites launched, which were the first.
The state even passed its sports betting bill, SB415, before the federal repeal of the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act 1992 (PASPA) was even fully ratified by the US Supreme Court in 2018 and giving each state the ability to legalize online sports betting. SB415 passed in March 2018, and the US Supreme Court's PASPA ruling made this law active in May 2018.
There have been some ups and downs with online sports betting in the Mountain State. At first, the only West Virginia sportsbook offering online betting was BetLucky which launched in December 2018. The app was then pulled from the market in March 2019, meaning there was no online betting option available. The West Virginia Lottery Commission improved its regulations, and the next launch of mobile sportsbooks in August 2019 was a success.
Since then, wagers have been flying in with top West Virginia betting sites. More than half of the state’s $1 billion betting handle has come from online bookmakers.
Betting in WV is growing fast, and more sportsbooks are looking to join the market. With each new operator comes new betting opportunities for players, and we’re here to keep track of them all. We review every West Virginia betting site and only recommend those that pass our strict tests. That means you know you’re going to find a quality wagering site when you follow one of our links.
Sportsbooks are always trying to compete with each other and win over customers. That’s why you can find so many generous welcome bonuses at West Virginia betting sites. A welcome bonus is the first impression a sportsbook has to make, so you end up showered with rewards. It’s a win-win as you get some great betting offers, and the betting site gets a new customer!
Each sportsbook will offer something different to try to tempt players to register. However, you see some standard bonus types at many of the best WV sports betting sites. Here we explain those promotions and the benefit of claiming a welcome bonus from our list of the latest offers.
- Deposit Match Bonus: This is the most popular bonus at US sportsbooks, where the betting site will match your first deposit by a percentage. You will get more bonus funds the more you deposit up to a certain limit. An example of this would be if a sportsbook offered a 100% match on deposits up to $1,000. If you deposited $1,000, you would receive another $1,000 in real money, meaning your account balance would read $2,000!
- No Deposit Bonus: One of the most generous bonuses you can find, the no deposit bonus only requires you to register to receive your bonus funds. That’s right. You don’t need to add any money to your account. The rewards may be smaller than other bonuses, but this is as close to free money as you can get.
- Risk Free Bet: This bonus forgets about your first deposit and focuses on the first wager you place. If you place a bet within the terms of the offer and it loses, you don’t need to worry. The sportsbook will match that lost bet with bonus funds. If you win, you end up with the real money of your bet!
- Matched First Bet: A matched first bet takes the idea of a risk free bet further. Instead of receiving the reward depending on whether your first wager is a winner, you get the bonus funds regardless. If your first stake is within the terms of the offer, you get bonus credits equaling that wager. So this can feel like even more of a bonus if your first bet is a winner!
However, bonuses aren’t just for new players. Existing customers can also find plenty of fun in the promotions section of our recommended West Virginia betting sites. For example, reload bonuses are just like deposit match bonuses but for those who have already deposited. You may not end up with tons of bonus funds, but this still boosts the bankroll of bettors in the Mountain State.
Promo codes are a familiar concept to plenty of people because online stores use them as a way to unlock rewards. That’s one of the reasons sportsbooks have started offering betting promotions through bonus codes because it’s easier for new people to get involved!
West Virginia sports betting promo codes are unique combinations of letters and numbers you can enter at a sportsbook to unlock promotions. If you’re worried about finding those promotions, we’ve got you covered. You can find the best West Virginia betting site promo codes in this guide. That means all you have to do is use a promo code or promotion from Bookmakers.com when registering or depositing with our recommended sportsbooks to get yourself some awesome prizes.
Free bet bonuses give you exactly what you expect - free bets! Sportsbooks provide you with bonus funds to use on any wagers you want. Typically, this will be as part of a welcome bonus. However, some top West Virginia betting sites also provide these promotions to existing customers to reward loyalty or for a particular sports event.
In any case, free bet offers keep your wagering exciting. Most of these offers require either a deposit or minimum bet, like a welcome bonus. After you have fulfilled the requirements, you can bet how you want.
With one of the most established legal sports betting markets in the country, West Virginia has welcomed the technological advances that mobile betting apps have brought. Mobile apps give you all the same legal sport betting markets but let you access them anywhere you have a cellular network connection. West Virginia betting apps have better connectivity, navigation and more.
For example, some betting apps feature security features like biometric verification, increasing account security, and providing additional protection against fraud. Many apps also allow standardized payment information to be imported from popular smartphone apps like Apple Pay. Ultimately, this can eliminate the hassle of entering payment information online when trying to wager on your favorite sites such as on horse racing betting sites.
However, you don’t necessarily have to download a betting app, as you can access the mobile experience of the best West Virginia betting sites by visiting mobile web browsers. These pages fit seamlessly on the screen of whatever device you are using thanks to HTML5 technology. You can bet on the same markets, access the same account features and still claim generous promotions.
It’s worth noting that you need to enable your mobile’s geolocation services to use West Virginia betting sites on mobile. That way, the app or mobile site can verify if you are physically within the state.
The first step to placing a sports bet in West Virginia is funding your online sportsbook account. A wide range of payment options keeps everyone happy, and the options with the fastest withdrawals are often the most popular. Here are the most common West Virginia betting payment methods you’ll find on sportsbooks.
- Bank/Wire Transfer: Direct transfers from your bank account are a very secure way to make transactions. However, withdrawal times are slow. It can take several days for funds to hit your account. However, most sportsbooks accept this payment method.
- ACH: ACH allows you to make transfers from your bank account faster. It is very safe and avoids involving third parties in transactions. ACH is a popular West Virginia betting payment method because its withdrawals are also pretty quick.
- Checks: You can only cash out winnings from your sportsbook account via checks. Also, your money can often take a long time to reach you because your funds are going through the postal service. However, this is a very secure way to make your withdrawals and is recommended for large transactions.
- Credit/Debit Cards: Most people have a bank card, and depositing and withdrawing at a sportsbook can be as easy as ordering something online. The security is the same when making transactions at a West Virginia sports betting site as with any other online vendor. Withdrawals are reasonably quick and only take a few days. Yet some sportsbooks only permit bank card deposits and not withdrawals, so be sure to read the site’s terms and conditions.
- PayPal: E-wallets allow you to make payments without directly entering any of your financial information into a sportsbook. PayPal is the most popular e-wallet globally and is incredibly secure. PayPal withdrawals are also very fast, only taking a couple of days to process.
- Other E-Wallets: PayPal isn’t the only e-wallet accepted at West Virginia betting sites. Other options like Skrill and Neteller offer similar safety and speed. However, fewer sportsbooks accept these payment methods.
- PayNearMe: PayNearMe is super convenient because you can add cash to your betting account at local retail locations like 7-Eleven and CVS. You can make deposits of up to $500 instantly, but there are no withdrawals with this payment option.
- Play+: Play+ cards are prepaid payment options made to work with online sports betting sites. Many top West Virginia betting sites have partnerships with Play+, meaning you can add funds from these cards to your betting account. You can only add cash to these cards, making them perfect for those struggling with problem gambling.
Depending on the current sports seasons in the US and internationally, there is a wide range of sports to bet on in the Mountain State.
There is a betting option to suit everyone, be it on professional sports, both domestic and worldwide such as the NFL and futures markets on the Super Bowl. You can also bet on college sports. Most states have restrictions on NCAA betting, but WV allows you to place bets on in-state teams and games around the US. Many bettors will think that’s awesome because NCAA football is the third most popular betting sport in West Virginia, according to the American Gaming Association.
Sports bettors in West Virginia will find the following types of sports betting websites.
- NFL betting sites
- NHL betting sites
- NBA betting sites
- UFC betting sites
- MLB betting sites
- Soccer betting sites
- Cricket betting sites
- Golf betting sites
- Tennis betting sites
- Motor Sports
If you feel you’re ready to try online sports betting in WV, the first thing you’ll need to do is register with one of our top West Virginia betting sites. While all sportsbooks have different processes to get you set up, they will largely be similar and require similar information. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the sign-up process.
1. Choose any WV sportsbook from Bookmakers.com and click our link.
2. On the West Virginia sportsbook, you will see an option to either “Sign Up” or “Register.” Click this and begin filling out the fields as requested.
3. You will need your full name, address, email and date of birth. Some may require a phone number and will need you to create a username and password to get back into your account.
4. To keep the sportsbooks and yourself safe, you must verify your identity. You’ll need to submit copies of your photographic ID and proof of your address. Remember, this process is in place for your own safety.
5. Once you’re verified, you can start adding funds to your account. To do this, visit the cashier section of the WV sportsbook and follow the instructions. You should be able to choose your preferred payment method and make a deposit.
6. Some welcome bonuses require a deposit or a promo code to be activated. If this is the case and you have deposited enough, you should be rewarded with your bonus funds. That means you’ll be all set to start placing your own sports wagers on your favorite markets on NBA betting sites or NHL betting sites!
West Virginia is one of the most welcoming gambling states in the US, and both land-based and online casinos can operate here legally. Some of the most well-known casinos in the state include the Mardi Gras Casino (run by Delaware North), Mountaineer Casino, Wheeling Island and Hollywood Casino Charles Town. The state's embrace of sports betting also means if you want to load up your favorite West Virginia online casino games on your mobile, you can!
You’ll have every kind of casino game available at your fingertips at any top West Virginia casino, including progressive jackpot slots. You can also find table games like roulette and blackjack at a licensed online casino in WV. There are even live dealer games that you can stream to your device, which give you an authentic bricks-and-mortar casino atmosphere from the comfort of your home.
What’s even better about this is that many sportsbooks and online casinos have partnerships and share account wallets. That means when you register with top WV sports betting sites, you also can have fun at an online casino.
West Virginia welcomes betting of all kinds, but authorities and sportsbooks also understand that online gambling can be very addictive. That’s why operators in the Mountain State are committed to helping with problem gambling.
The best betting sites in West Virginia will make it easy for those who need support to get help. You’ll find links to helpful resources, contact phone numbers and more for those who wish to gain better control of their gambling habits. Sportsbooks will also offer tools to help you combat problem gambling like time-outs, deposits limits and more.
If you are currently struggling with gambling addiction, here are a few tips to help you out.
- Avoid using credit cards when gambling online. You should only use money you can afford to lose, and choosing a payment method to reflect this will help. Play+ is an excellent West Virginia betting payment method that only accepts cash.
- When placing bets at sportsbooks, start by placing smaller wagers. That means you can get more out of your bankroll and are less likely to cause you monetary problems.
Anyone in West Virginia that needs help with problem gambling can reach out to the at 1-800-522-4700 or through its website.